149 Squadron

 

 

The squadron, after having re-equipped with Stirlings, took part in the first 1,000-bomber raids. In 1943 it made a significant contribution to the Battle of the Ruhr, and also took part in the Battle of Hamburg and the famous raid against the German V-weapons experimental station at Peenemunde. Between February and July 1944the squadron helped supply the French Maquis with supplies, arms and ammunition by parachute. Towards the end of 1944 the Stirlings were replaced by Lancasters and with these the squadron continued its offensive until late April 1945. It then dropped food to the starving people of Holland and later, after the German surrender, ferried many ex-POWs back to England from the Continent. Among the many decorations won by its members was a Victoria Cross awarded posthumously to Flight Sergeant RH Middleton, RAAF, for his part in a raid on Turin on the night of 28/29th November 1942.

 

For further Information see 149 Squadron website 

 

 

149 Squadron Historian:

Alan Fraser 3, Maple Road, Perth, PH1 1EX

Email: alan.fraserATstirlingpilot.org.uk (Please delete the "AT" and insert "@" )

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/No149-Squadron-RAF/230269846999091

Print Print | Sitemap
© The Mildenhall Register