No. 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron was formed at Dover, Kent on 24th April 1918. Within a month the squadron went to France as a day-bomber squadron equipped with DH9 aircraft, after a brief but hectic service it disbanded in 1919. The squadron was re-formed in 1936 and became one of the comparatively few bomber squadrons to serve continuously through the war against Nazi Germany.
No. 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron once again flew to France on 2nd September 1939 flying the Fairey Battle, having suffered grevious casualties during the German May 1940 offensive it was evacuated back to England to be re-equipped with the Bristol Blenheim medium-range bomber under No.2 Group control. Five months later, it was re-equipped with the Vickers Wellington and part of No.3 Group. The squadron was re-equipped with the Short Stirling in December 1941.
His Excellency the Governor of the Gold Coast and the peoples of the Gold Coast territories officially adopted the squadron in 1942. The Short Stirling was eventually replaced by the Avro Lancaster in the summer of 1944 which it continued to operate until VE Day.
No. 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron's awards include a Victoria Cross (awarded posthumously) to Flight Sergeant AL Aaron for his "most conspicuous bravery" during a raid on 12/13th August 1943, 4 DSOs, 2 bars to the DSO, 109 DFCs, 2 CGMs, 1 MM, 46 DFMs and 1 BEM.
For further Information see 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron website
218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Historian:
Steve Smith 206 Dunkery Road, Mottingham, London, SE9 4HP
Email: threegrouprafATyahoo.co.uk (Please delete the "AT" and insert "@" )
This file of No 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron's history is from Steve Smith, the squadron historian.
Click on the file to open it: