This squadron was reformed in 1934 at Abingdon with Hawker Harts. It was shortly after this, that on the insistence of its Commanding Officer, Squadron Leader TW Elmhirst DFC, that the Squadron became known as XV Squadron. During 1938, the Squadron was one of the first to receive Fairey Battles, and it was with these that XV Squadron flew to France in September 1939. In early 1940, the Squadron returned to the UK and re-equipped with Blenheims flown in the ground attack role. By the turn of the year, these had been traded in for Wellingtons, and shortly after that XV Squadron became one of the first Stirling heavy-bomber units.
One famous aircraft flown by XV Squadron was named 'MacRobert's Reply', an aircraft donated by Lady MacRobert in memory of her three sons killed in RAF service. For the full story of this amazing family click on: http://www.macrobertsreply.net/
Lancasters arrived during 1943, and the Squadron remained part of No. 3 Group's main force for the remainder of the war.
XV Squadron Historian:
Martyn Ford-Jones 48 Caraway Drive, Wood Hall Park, Swindon, Wilts, SN2 2RF. Email: mfj_xvhistorianAThotmail.co.uk (Please delete the "AT" and insert "@" )